By Drain Doctor on 19/05/2016

There is a skills gap in the construction industry across many essential trades, not least in plumbing. Steps are being made to encourage young people into the trade – but what are the best options for training once the decision to become a plumber has been made?

There is a wide choice out there including courses at colleges, courses with private providers, courses on line as well as other distance learning options. Some of these options will be good, bad or indifferent but they should at least provide a level 2 Plumbing qualification. When choosing a course it is always best to ensure that your certification is accredited by a recognised certificating body, usually City & Guilds or EAL.

So, once you achieve the qualification, what can you do? Domestic plumbing is usually the first port of call and you can earn well from this if you are a good plumber. Site work, either in new builds or large scale refurbishment projects, is also an option. However, NVQs are required in order to get the right plumbing CSCS card to get onto a construction site. These NVQs require you to be assessed in a real working environment.

A plumbing NVQ will 'open doors' that bit wider. You will be eligible to apply for a JIB PMES card, accepted on all sites. As government housebuilding targets drive increasing amounts of development in the UK, securing work should be getting easier. Equally, if you are looking to be employed by a combined plumbing and drainage company like Drain Doctor, holding an NVQ acts as a declaration of competence.

So if you want to swap the suit for a pair of overalls and fill the skills gap, contact your local college. If you #needaplumber give Drain Doctor a call on 0800 70 71 72.